That's what the underarm looks like. I might be tempted to walk around with my arms up just to show off this bit of trickery.
Hey, that's what it's all about right - trickery!
Maybe it's because it is totally predictable. I know it will work out. I know it will be a lovely sweater. But that's all good stuff right?
When I design I have a vague idea of what I'm looking for and then I start knitting. As I work I think about what might come next. I try something and if it doesn't work, I rip it out and start over. This doesn't bother me a bit. I have a rule - never knit the same ball of yarn more than 3 times, after the third reknit I throw it out. I usually throw out one ball a project, that's a lot of ripping. I can duplicate stitch, I can reknit sections in the middle of a sweater, I can cut a sweater and redo parts of it, I can finish a garment, wash it and then rip out something and do it again. None of this is horrible - time consuming, yes, but horrible, no. Am I missing all of that?
Is the simple answer to my not rushing to knit my sample just that the challenge is not there? Possibly a tiny bit of boredom? I do have to pay attention to the patterns on the sweater or I will screw up so it's not that my mind is not engaged. I knit socks, even very plain socks, and don't run into this problem. So I am still at a loss and pushing myself to finish this sweater.
There it is. Give it a little tug. No safety net required for this one. It's very smooth. You don't have to worry about elongating st#5 because it has to be long to cross over.
It's as easy as that.
I still have to work on the sleeves but I can make some judgements now.
I like the overall shape of it. I don't know if the twisted stitches are worth the effort since they don't show that much. But my other thought was I should start them higher up. Maybe do an inch of ribbing and then start the twisted stitches after that. I think I like the twisted diamond in the back since it pulls it in at the small of the back. I found some great buttons at the shop, really light weight wooden ones. I made the buttonholes 6 sts wide and that was way too much so I sewed them smaller, to 3 sts wide, and am much happier with that.
I don't know about the neckband. Should it have a flipped over collar? Maybe not a huge one. I am definitely leaning that way. I could put some twisted rib in that too. All of the interest is in the bottom and I sort of like to draw the attention up to the face a bit more. It will look different once the sleeves are done. I think then I will be sure I need a big collar to balance it out. So far I pretty pleased with this and it's wonderful to do a big project again.
Sort of fuzzy but you get the idea. I'm not done yet. I have switched to a smaller needle and am working the ribbing right around to make a cinched-in waist since I am now about 2" above my waistline. We'll see where this takes me. I would like to get a bit of a peplum affect at the back but I don't think that's going to happen. I could keep the twists on the Front moving around the sides and into the Back of the bottom edging. I'll see how far they'll go. I envision large buttons on this. I'll have to find quite light weight ones so they won't pull at the fabric. It may need a much larger flipped over collar too but I can decide later.
Back to it, I'm working on the waist now,
85' of pine tree fell right down there. The guy who lives across the road is a cutter and he did the deed. My dad said you wouldn't believe how good he is at handling his huge chain saw and directing the tree right where he wanted it to fall. It took out 2 small trees but there was nowhere it could fall where it wasn't going to take out something. So now we have a little more light, it's not raining pine sap on us and my dad is sleeping easier every time the wind blows.I am almost to the divide round for my top down cardi. Still on the first 100 gm ball too.