Saturday 17 July 2010

I am, if I say so myself, a good rescuer of knitting projects. In my drop-in class I often spend the first half hour fixing up any misadventures my students have gotten into over the week. This is not because I read a lot of knitting articles, although I do, this is not because I get some sort of inspiration from the knitting god indicating where the problem may be, I wish, it is because I have made every single mistake anyone can come up with. And with a deadline coming up I've made a whole sock totally the wrong size! Well not exactly the wrong size but a combination of sizes. The finished sock has the width of leg for a woman, the width of foot for a woman and the length of foot for a man. It was meant to be a man's sock. duh!
I have no idea where my brain was when I cast on. I know what gauge I get with this yarn, I know that cables pull the sock fabric in and still I cast on way too few stitches. I wondered why it looked like I was going to have yarn left over from the 50g ball when I should have had to go into a second ball to finish a man's sock with a long leg. Sigh, denial is a grand thing. So I have started again with 18 sts more than last time. And I am going to rip back the toe and several inches of the finished sock and make it a woman's length because I'm really good at ripping and redoing things. No one, except you, will know the difference.
-Deb

2 comments:

  1. No Comment!!!! Been there, done that, ribbit I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not so good at rescuing my knitting, so I do more of the ripping out and muttering under my breath.
    Jed

    ReplyDelete

If you would like a reply to your comment, please include your email address.