Monday 12 July 2010

It's been quite a week. Our community work came to it's culmination this weekend. We have been working all year towards the big Mariposa Folk Festival 50 year celebration. And it was fantastic.

Our part was to run the ArtsU education section of Mariposa. We ran 9 classes for 62 students. This is our second year and this constitutes a tremendous success. http://www.mariposafolk.com/index.php?show=artsu
And wouldn't you know it, my camera choose this weekend to totally tank on me! So here are some photos from last year  http://www.mariposafolk.com/index.php?show=16&gid=107 . Many of these students returned this year.

Mariposa was terrific and still thriving after 50 years, the last 10 years in it's place of origin, Orillia ON where I very happily live. The music is wonderful but it's also marvelous because we run into all kinds of people we know, fellow volunteers, towns people and sometimes old friends from 20 years ago (my husband seems to have someone tap him on the shoulder every year and say remember me? this year it was an old working buddy from 25 years ago when they both worked at a youth detention centre - a half hour of reminiscing commenced, and last year it was a young man who used to go to the National Ballet School who is now all grown up but still recognized paul who was residence head). It's amazing to realize how many people we know who are involved in this huge enterprise which comes off every year entirely run by volunteers. Amazing. http://www.mariposafolk.com/index.php?show=219

As I said My Camera Tanked!! The last couple of photos I got were of the latest socks off the needles.
This is in DK weight wool (Shelridge Farm) and it's gorgeous on my foot, you'll have to take my word for it.

And a sock weight wool sock, hand-dyed by Lynda, which came out beautifully. I'm working on my next one, a man's size mock-cable sock which I cannot show you, boo hoo. I guess I need to go camera shopping.
-Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like a reply to your comment, please include your email address.