Monday, 6 May 2013

That little bit wasn't a keeper either. Sigh. So I tried starting with the neckband and working the ribbing down.
The idea is to fill in some of the square neckline at the back with a ribbed neckband using short rows. I cast on and working down, worked short rows with the ribbing. It works, the back of neck is a good 1 1/2" higher than the Front and it's also narrower which will help it sit on the shoulders really well. But the directions need to be written out stitch by stitch and if the knitter goes slightly amiss then it won't work. There is too much room for error and frustration right at the beginning of the project.
So now I've decided that it would be best if the knitter works the body first. I'm going to suggest that the knitter work the neckband when they get to the end of the first ball of yarn. Then when they try it on the neck will be finished and sit properly. The directions will say to pick up around the neckline and work the ribbed neckband up. The short rows will be easier that way.
The square neck seems quite large but when it's worn will look more like this. And it will be filled in with the ribbed neckband too.
At least, this is my vision. Fingers crossed.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh. the gap between vision annd execution! Always the issue, isn't it!


If you would like a reply to your comment, please include your email address.