Thursday 21 March 2013

Why choose to work with stripes in 3 colours? Two colours are easier to choose and easier to work, right?

But there is a beauty to working with 3 colours. The yarn is carried up both edges of your work when working back and forth. For my cardigan, worked top down in one piece, I will carry the yarn down both front edges which will make these front edges even. If I'm a little tight with the yarn carries, I'll be tight on both sides. And picking up the Front bands hides the yarn carries and evens up the Front edges even more.

Also, I don't have to keep track of which colour is coming up next. Once I get going, the colour I need is ready to be worked when I get to the end of each stripe.
Starting from the top, I work 3 rows of light blue, back and forth in stockinette stitch, and drop the yarn. Now work with the dark blue yarn, work 3 rows and drop the yarn.The last stripe is in black and after working 3 rows the yarn is dropped on the edge on the right side of my sample. When I look at my work, the light blue yarn is dangling right there waiting it's turn. I can carry the yarn down and begin my next light blue stripe. No thinking, no mistakes. It's magic.
 
With 3 colours I think you could work any combination of odd numbered rows and it would all work out - 1 x 1 x 1 row, 1 x 3 x 5 rows, 3 x 1 x 3 rows, 7 x 3 x 5 rows, fat stripes, thin stripes. It may be endless, have fun.
-Deb
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like a reply to your comment, please include your email address.