Thursday 12 January 2017

not going to the pond

Took a sweater off my UFO list and was going to frog it but ... I didn't. I kept looking at it trying to figure out why I wanted to throw it in the pond. I love the colour. It's cherry red although you wouldn't know that from the photos. I also thought it was too plain looking. But everyone needs a regular everyday sweater to throw on last minute as you run out the door, right? So I'm naming it the Everyday V. And that's what it's going to be for me.

But I had to make it a little more interesting to knit. So I played with the button bands. With my trusty crochet hook I undid a set of stitches and rehooked them up like this.
It is more interesting and will look even more so once the buttons are on. I have to pay attention at the beginning and end of every row to get it right. That keeps me engaged. It should also keep the bands from wanting to fold under when not buttoned.

The second reason I was having difficulty continuing was that I was worried about running out of wool. I think I have enough but not enough to be really confident. What is really important for this sweater for me? I want long sleeves and a long sweater too but the sleeves are the thing. So I've deviated from my regular routine and worked the body until I got to the end of a ball and started the sleeve.

Once they are both done I can make the sweater as long as I have wool to knit. Hopefully nice and long but I can live with a shorter length.
How are your UFO's going?
Deb
P.S. Thanks Brenda and t_a. The "grandfather" type sweater was just what my son asked for. I think he's wearing it regularly which makes me very happy.

3 comments:

  1. Pretty! Makes me want to whip out my Need a Top Down book and blow off the dust..it was my first Cabin Fever Purchase.t_a

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to say Button Up Your Top Down. I love those particularly because the bands are knit-as-you-go. There are a not few I love with that band technique from Cabin Fever!
    t_a

    ReplyDelete
  3. One pair of socks finally finished - too many scrappy blue socks last year so I just ran out of poop!!! And one too many identical sweater starts got frogged. Not sure if that's progress.

    ReplyDelete

If you would like a reply to your comment, please include your email address.