Friday 22 May 2009

Beginnings

I started working on the Jane Austen shawl border and realized that one of the balls of wool was bouncing around quite a bit in the bag I had them in. Hmm bouncing a little too much. This is not good.The orange ball is getting quite small and I don't have any more of it. I have no idea how much yardage this wool has since it's out of my stash without any tags on it. In fact, it was from the 'frogged from another project' stash (I have quite a bit of this type of stash). I have no idea if I have enough to get around the whole shawl with the lovely knitted on border. I do not want to get to the other side and have 2 more points to do without any orange wool. So I have put a different border on it which I could knit until I ran out of the orange. It makes a shawl but not as interesting as the original.And I don't have to throw the wool back into the frog pond. Compromise. I really have to do something about this tendency to start something, work it part way through, rip it out and start something else. This is probably a character flaw!

Now that I have blocked the shawl I am allowed to start a couple more things right? I have started a couple of socks. Nothing impressive yet.There is ribbing because . . .I am redoing this sock. Lynda thought that this cable design would work out great but it's very, very dense and difficult to knit. So I am going to fiddle with the pattern and see if I can come up with a variation. And this is a plan for a new adventure for me, the story sock. I have never tried this before but I am going to do a theme sock. I'll tell you the story as we go. After cruising through several stitch dictionaries I have developed this mock up of the sock. It may turn out to be totally unworkable as a design but this is quite fun to contemplate. I'm going to wind the sock wool now.

-Deb

1 comment:

  1. I have no idea what the original shawl pattern called for, but I love this one. Will the pattern be out soon? I am definitely in a shawl-making mood (I think it has to do with the fact that I've gained 5 lbs. and nothing fitted looks good on me anymore!)

    ReplyDelete

If you would like a reply to your comment, please include your email address.