Friday 23 February 2018

Olympics are bad for knitting

Watching the Olympics was not good for my knitting. I was watching the curling and knitting 3 rows forward and 1 row back. Unfortunately nothing I did provided any luck to our Canadian teams. Sigh.

I have progressed on my Mulligan, sort of. I think I'm back to where I was on the first Blue V. As you can see I still have to recover from the last rip out when they lost!!  How am I supposed to keep track of my knitting when I'm sitting on the edge of my seat?

I am also working on my Take It From The Top KAL where we are all using the Take It From The Top pattern as a basic guide and having our way with it. We've just started if you want to join us.

I have finished the neckband and worked a different kind of short row to lower the front. I am ready to add a panel down the centre front. I'm looking forward to getting into the stitch pattern.
But that's not all, ha. I am also knitting a Mosaic hat which I am writing up and hopefully will be out soon. I have to tell you that I love, just love, knitting mosaic.
It's a huge amount of fun. It's colourwork where you use only one colour at a time and work knits and slips to make the pattern. Here's the matching cowl in solid colours.
And a close up of the matching red cowl.
The colourwork is so pretty that it's hard to put down. But I must because I have yarn to make up after the big rip on the Blue V. Must be firm with myself!

Thursday 15 February 2018


I'm allowing myself a do-over.
This second try is looking much better.

I laid it on top of the first sample and the angle of the front is already showing a better line.

I also charted the beginning edge of the first front and the far edge of the second front. I am working the increases at the front edges much further apart than my first sample. Now it's an 8 row repeat. I'm feeling like this is on it's way to a final sweater. I'm excited.

I'm keeping my first sample because I would like to try sewing and cutting away the front. Then do something attaching a new front to it. Cut the front away, leaving the neckband stitches intact and open. Nothing lost if it doesn't work but I'm intrigued.

Then work some sort of stitch to join the neckband and the raglan edge. I can envision it.

I could work?! Maybe.

I'm trying to stay on course and not jump to trying this out. Must get this sweater done first. Must get this sweater done first. Must get this sweater done first.

I'm going to start knitting right now so I don't lose focus. Bye for now.

Thursday 8 February 2018


It's a wonderful thing isn't it? I kept knitting and knitting ignoring the little voice that said something was definitely wrong. It was. The Front is much too big. Now that I take a look at the math it's quite obvious.
So did I do a swatch? Nah. I started another cardigan with bigger yarn and I took a good look a the math this time and I think this one is going to be good.
Already the angle of the front seems better.
You'll have to take my word for it since all the stitches are crammed around the needle since I'm fairly close to the bottom of the yoke. The V is deeper which I'm quite excited about. I'll be working on this over the weekend. I can't wait to get to the Great Divide.

Thursday 1 February 2018

Committed to the Great Divide

I'm committed now to getting the yoke finished. I'm close to the Great Divide. It looks different than I imagined it would but the V is working as I had hoped it would. It's deeper than my regular V-neck top down cardigans which is what I was looking for. The eyelets are dreaming of summer.
I'm still pretty sure the front is bigger than it needs to be. A shawl pin might be needed for me to wear it. Although all those holes sort of lend themselves to being buttoned any way I want to. There are still possibilities here. It's working really well as a prototype, it's almost right but could use some work. I like that.

Someone the other day asked why I don't do a child's size first. Sometimes I do that and guess what, the adult version seldom gets made. In my head I've worked it all out and now I'm done with that design and on to the next idea. There is another idea hiding behind this one which is nudging me constantly. At least this is an adult size and I think I would knit another one with some modifications. I like it and would wear it.

I'm going to make this with cap sleeves, real summery. Then I have to work out the bottom of the eyelet fronts. I don't want too much of a V at the bottom of the sweater. At least that's my thinking at this moment. Could always change my mind though!