Wednesday 28 September 2011

I got an answer to Julie's (from the comments) question. I thought I knew the answer but then I started wondering if maybe it would work in stocking stitch. I wanted to knit it up to see. And what I see is that bubble thing which isn't going to work.
Why did I need to use Garter Stitch for the 'back of neck square' I was trying to fill in?
Garter Stitch works because the gauge of the ridges is the same as the stitch gauge. As I worked this square in stocking stitch, I knit down from the shoulder, worked the increases at the raglan line which turned the stitches 90 degrees, work horizontally across the centre back, work increases at raglan line and then work up to the top of the shoulder where I join the stitches to the neckband and turned.
The stitches, as I approach the shoulder, are running perpendicular to the neckband so I'm attaching rows to stitches. Since garter stitch knits to 3.5 sts = 1" and 3.5 Ridges = 1" I can attach ridges to the stitches of the neckband with little distortion.
Now I need to make it look a little prettier.
-Deb

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm....so 20 rows of garter stitch would be shorter? than 20 rows of stockinet??? Never thought of that difference before. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete

If you would like a reply to your comment, please include your email address.